Frequent Grammar Mistakes Everyone Can Miss
If you are on this page, so you think of your literacy and you understand how it is important. Bed grammar may even ruin your life! All the people begin to learn a foreign language with one main objective – to learn to speak. And our task is to teach you to speak correctly. In the course of learning all pupils make mistakes, and teachers, in their turn, correct pupils, explain rules and strengthen them in the speech to avoid repetition of mistakes. But does it always turn out "to avoid" them? How many times from lesson to lesson you spoke "I am agree", "It depends from", "I feel myself good"? Well I think there was many times!
And level of proficiency in language for these "infectious" mistakes is not an indicator at all! If at the initial stage of learning such mistakes are still pardonable, but pupils of the Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate and Advanced levels have to consider their behavior seriously and realize their mistakes! T
In this article the team of professional writers, editors and proofreaders will consider mistakes, which are "very famous" and which prevent to speak and to write correctly – the most widespread phonetic and grammatical mistakes of the pupils.
I perfectly understand the difficulties arising at a pronunciation of sounds [θ] and [ð] (think/this), [w] and [v] , difficulties at a pronunciation of such words as "conscientious", "circumstances", etc. But it is usually easy for pupils to overcome these difficulties of a pronunciation what you won't tell about the following words:
- Colleague – instead of [ˈkɔliːg] people say [k ɔˈ liːg] – possibly, by analogy with the native language word with a word stress on the second syllable.
- Hotel – instead of [həuˈtɛl] people say [ˈhəutɛl]. The reason isn't clear. In many languages the word "hotel" is also pronounced with a word stress on the second syllable. There is one hypothesis that the pronunciation [ˈhəutɛl] is connected with the song Eagles "Hotel California".
- Also – instead of [ˈɔː lsəu] say [ˈaːlsəu] – again we forget that the native language rules of reading are inapplicable to English!
- Since – instead of [sɪns] people say [saɪns] – this is favourite mistake of those who have remembered the rules of reading in the opened / closed syllable very-very clearly.
- Has – pupils of initial level say [haz] instead of [hæz]
- Put – pupils of initial level say [pʌt] instead of [put] – the same situation like with the word "since".
- To live – people often tell [laɪv] instead of [lɪv], but the adjective "live" [laɪv] is said like [lɪv]. Exactly the opposite!
- Policeman – instead of [p əˈ liːsmən] people say [ˈpɔliːsmən]. The reason of this mistake still remains for us a complete mystery!
- Additional – instead of [əˈ d ɪʃə nl] people tell [aˈd ɪʃə to nl] – it reminds the situation with the word "also".
- Stopped, worked etc. – people say [stopɪd], [w əː kɪd]. At the same time all perfectly know the rule: [ɪd] we should pronounce only after sounds [t], [d] (hated, decided), and in other cases [t] (after [k], [p], [f], [s], [ʃ], [t ʃ]) or [d] (after ringing sounds).
- Born – instead of [b ɔː n] (to be born) people say [b əː n] → (to burn, burn down) burn. And instead of telling when you were born, it turns out, that you report that somebody tried to burn you!
- Society – instead of [s ə ˈs a ɪ ə t ɪ ] people tell [ˈs ɔ s ɪ ə t ɪ] – something like "I read exactly what I see"
- Stomach – instead of [ˈs t ʌ m ə k] people tell [ˈs t o m ʌ t ʃ] – it is the same story, as with the word "society".
So, we should remember the basic rule of reading English words: if you are not sure – check the word in the dictionary. But note that the fun has just begun. The most interesting errors are ahead.
We pass to the following group of mistakes which, as "plague words", appear periodically in the speech of pupils of all levels, not excepting Advanced students. And we know that you know how it is correct. And you know that you know how it is correct. You know! But you don't say so all the same!
Sometimes there are ridiculous expressions and sentences, but let's begin with "unhumorous" most widespread mistakes.
Practically everybody hates rules of the use of prepositions. Still! A lot of these rules need to be remembered and learned by heart therefore students often use the wrong preposition, forget about it at all or use it where it isn't necessary in principle. I think many people will recognize next errors which are corrected by the teachers almost at each lesson:
I went to there – "to" is superfluous → I went there (I have gone somewhere).
I phoned to her → I phoned her (I have called her).
I came to home → I came home (I have come home).
We discussed about it → We discussed it BUT We talked about it (We spoke about it).
I went to holiday → I went on holiday
To influence on smth → To influence smth BUT to have influence on smth.
In the weekend → At the weekend.
In 12 o’clock → At 12 o’clock.
The situation depends from smth → The situation depends on smth.
In next week → _Next week.
In last year → _Last year.
In Friday → On Friday.
Here we can say about the usage of a particle "to": can to/should to/must to/may to – remember (!!!) that we never use "to" after these modal verbs!
Sometimes plural forms of nouns "quit on":
And, of course, advices – everyone knows, but forget that the noun "advice" is uncountable and it is used only in singular. For example: He gave me a lot of useful advice.
There is one more frequent grammar mistake. Many pupils like to say “I am” and in a result they say the next:
- I am agree to you – the classical mistake → I agree / I don’t agree to you
- I am work etc. → I work.
And there where the verb "to be" should be, it is often passed:
- I_tired → I am tired.
- I_afraid (I don’t afraid / scared) of → I am afraid (I am not afraid / scared) of .
Also pupils make common mistakes when the wrong word is used or the words order in the sentence is changed. Here are the most favourite of them:
- To make photos instead of To take photos
- I very much like it / I very need it instead of I like it very much / I need it very much.
- He said what… instead of He said that...
- I forgot my keys at home instead of I left my keys at home .
- I like read magazines instead of I like reading magazines.
- I went to the magazine (magazine – publication, usually periodical) instead of I went to the shop (shop – is location where people regularly buy smth). More examples you may read here!
You cannot be genius, but you can work on becoming smarter and smarter. We should sharpen our skills every day and every moment. There are good reasons why English language has become international language. And if you are reading this post so you are interested in liquidating mistakes from your oral and written speech. That means that you have some problems, but you are working on them. It’s great!
But the circumstances are always different. The deadlines for written paper are always coming to the end very fast. That’s why people use different essay editing services.
If you are on a difficult situation with your deadline, or you are non-native English speaker, or maybe you just doubt your grammar or spelling, contact us! You may leave your comment and our Support Team will answer you as soon as possible, because it works for 24\7. There are more than 400 professional editors in our team, so be sure that we will do our best!
The websites that deliver professional writing services are especially designed to help people (mostly students) create and correct their written texts, as well as improve their writings. “Essay-editor” website is the finest creator, fixer, and corrector among suchlike sites in the UK, with a headquarter located in London.
Checking the papers by yourself, there is a high risk to miss a lot of mistakes, especially the ones related to punctuation that is one of the weakest points in any written text. In order to have proper punctuation, we strongly recommend to get a reliable helper who fixes writings professionally. If a paper requires correction, Efficient on line checker detects all the flaws and inaccuracies, and a experienced specialist (a individual consultant and checker) will perform the required corrections. Also, our on-line plagiarism cheker will take care of detecting plagiarized elements in your text, and an experienced rewrite will care for correcting them, rewriting the sentences, replacing some words with the suitable synonym words, etc. Thus, you will get 100% plagiarism free paper and a high grade for it.
On our site, aid with homework is guaranteed. Also, have your research paper created or fixed according to the APA standards. Every paid service brings the desired result. Written assignments created and corrected by our experts guarantee to bring the A+ grades. If you are ready to order professional services and get competent support with the writings, order at essay-editor.net then. Do not waste money, buying overpriced services provided by not credible online agencies. We offer the most economical prices and the lowest proofing fees. Pay for success a reasonable price.