Brief outline of the Dissertation Proofreading Services
When someone says “I need to proofread my essay” we can imagine the process and the approximate toolkit used by the proofreader, as well as the volume of text. However with the dissertation proofreading it goes otherwise. We tend to imagine a complicated multi-level linguistic operation that lasts for hours, is featured by numerous repetitions, revisions. In some cases, that just hits the point.
However in general the knowledge of the academic editing is quite scanty nowadays. We know the meaning of the word “academic” and we know what “editing” implies however a combination of these words is hardly a concept for the majority of people. In this post we shall try to reveal its meaning and manifestations in the real life.
Presently preparing a dissertation is a task of the significant scope that must adhere to the multiple rules and requirements. These rules concern both the content of the paper and its execution and design, as well as the outside references.
While writing an essay is a feasible task for almost any student, compiling a dissertation requires certain talent in the scientific field, attentiveness, deep knowledge of the subject. The writing skill of the postgraduate student is also backstopped by numerous essays, assignments and articles he or she wrote during the years of schooling and higher education. It all leads to the postgraduate writing a dissertation often having a quite acceptable writing skill and the ability to build a consistent text.
It is rarely that the dissertation requires some more “solid” editing services than proofreading and superficial rewording. However it maybe the case if the author of the dissertation isn’t a native English speaker or doesn’t possess the slightest talent for writing (which also happens). If this is the case with your dissertation, our post on the merits of the top rewriting service will help to set your priorities.
Let us list the factors that differ the proofreading of a major text, such as dissertation, from the minor ones (e.g. essays):
- Volume. The volume of the essay is 5-20 pages of the typed text, in average. The volume of the dissertation starts with 50-100 pages and may extent to thousand pages. Certainly the proofreading of such text will require much more time allotted to the task, closer attentiveness and concentration, more breaks in the work, as the continuous reading of the lengthy text leads to the vision and mind’ adaptation to text. As a result, even the gross mistakes may be passed without noticing.
- Content. While the content of the essay is in most times a predictable one, outlining the general ideas, the dissertation presumes a new word is science is told. It deals with several ideas grounding on multiple proofs, often on the crossroads of different scientific areas. The lofty requirements to the content result into the stipulations as to the proofreader’s education and specialization. In most times the humanitarian won’t be able to properly proofread the dissertation on physics without the physicist assistance.
- Language. If an essay may be written in almost any style of language (avoiding swearing and excessive slang, of course), the dissertation requires a scientific style of the facts’ presentation, the stale phrases and clauses. It is rather a formal style, attentive to punctuation and the way of the text execution. The text (at least in natural sciences) must be illustrated by graphics, diagrams etc. Certainly it adds to the requirements for the proofreader’s skill and level of experience.
- Technical requirements. The design of the essay may be of any kind, depending on the preferences of its author. Much less freedom is in the execution of the dissertation. No obligatory components (Preface, Thesis, Theoretical Background, Proofs etc.) may be missed or joined into one, no subsiding elements (pictures, Web inclusions, hyperlinks) accept the approved ones are permitted. There isn’t but a single opinion as to the way of executing the quoting and references, there can be no coloring or highlighting of the text (except for illustrations) etc.
Thus we can see that the dissertation proofreading, on one part, is complicated by the volume and specialized content. However, due to the fixed requirements to style and design, the use of the similar language patterns, this task may demand less time if the proofreader possess a proper experience in the field.
Now that we know what the dissertation proofreading is, let us discuss the ways to perform it to your dissertation.
A Break of Pattern: 10 reasons for not ordering the dissertation proofreading
As we see from the above, the proofreading of the dissertation requires a high level of experience both in the editing field and in the area of dissertation’ subject. Besides, it is a voluminous task requiring concentration and assiduity. It seems reasonable, then, to outsource this part of the post-writing control of the paper to the dedicated specialist. However in some cases the author himself may act as such expert. For sure, in that case he or she wouldn’t need and help from the outside.
Here below is the list of 10 factors showing you don’t need to order the proofreading services for your dissertation:
- You patiently and scrupulously read and re-read your dissertation setting different scopes. First you go word by word, then sentence by sentence, next paragraph to paragraph. Then you start to read it inverse, from the end to the beginning. You do not distract yourself onto the petty activities like meals or laundry or preparations for your exams. You don’t get tired or bored, you feel inspiration and energy flowing through you out of this task. If something lacks to match your situation in this idyllic description, check our post on the topic http://essay-editor.net/blog/save-your-patience-with-the-thesis-editing-service.
- You’re a linguist yourself. You possess an outstanding knowledge of the grammar, can use Future Perfect Progressive tense in your speech, know how to differ gerund from Present Participle and set all your commas and semicolons in the correct places. In this case it is most probably that provided you have the time and possibility, you can make a proofreading yourself.
- You’re not a linguist but you are aware of all the proofreading methods and techniques. You possess an outstanding “feeling of language” and though cannot always explain why, but firmly know that the phrase The horse raced past the barn fell implies the horse falling and not racing anymore. You also know the difference between ridiculous and ridicule, though, possibly, haven’t ever used the second word in your life.
- You have written a dissertation on the syntactic approach in the modern grammars or some other linguistic topic. It is assumed that possessing such a knowledge in linguistics you would know the way to write your text properly.
- You are a native English speaker and possess a talent for writing. You don’t know what proofreading services imply and the way to use them. All your assignments, essays etc. were graded with no less than B+ and you have no idea of the essay editing services for everyone. You don’t use the word “proofreading”, instead you “check” your papers yourself and are quite satisfied with the result.
- You are a natural genius and all tasks come easy for you. You have written your dissertation in a week or less and neither your curator nor the dean could spot a slightest deficiency in it. Well, hope the Nobel prize is yours! And here you can skip the additional proofreading by the outside specialist.
- You are not a genius but your strong features are attentiveness and concentration. Multiplied by some linguistic skills these advantages can allow you to proofread your dissertation yourself. Besides, you are well aware of all the requirements put for dissertation in your varsity. The requirements for dissertation design, inner construction and topics may be stricter in some educational institutions and easier at other. However they usually have a lot in common, in most times the difference lays in the sphere of the text execution.
- You possess unlimited time and can forget for some regular everyday tasks for a certain time. Or you have sufficient passive income or your parents and friends support you, having a full day at your disposal would be a significant factor if you decided to proofread your dissertation yourself. It is also important not to distract in the middle of your checking onto the superficial subjects or the important ones but not concerning the dissertation issue.
- You don’t plan to submit your dissertation to the scientific approval yet. Your paper is ready but you have doubts as to its content, the rightness of the conclusion, the coherency of arguments and proofs, the results of the experiments. If you plan to change something in your dissertation, it is better to postpone its proofreading until a final version is ready.
- The success of your dissertation isn’t important for you. Such situations may happen, though rarely. It sometimes can happen that on writing the dissertation you realized that this particular area is not the one you’d like to develop further. Or you have decided to dedicate your life to some thing other than science (business, travelling, family). Or while working out the topic chosen you found out your interests go quite beyond it. Or you work for science itself and the titles and degrees are not important for you. In these situations the way your text looks and its readability are not the priority tasks.
Summing up, the need for the proofreading of your dissertation comes of the desire to present it in the best possible way, for it to look well-composed, easily readable and fully grounded. If you possess trained linguistic skills for that task, or have an inborn talent for writing grammatically you may reject ordering a proofreading at the editing company. However some additional factors must favor your decision, such as the unlimited time available and support in the regular activities. The ability to concentrate for a long time on one subject, as well as not losing the attention to details will also benefit such decision.
However if at least one of these conditions is missing, the assistance of an expert linguist in proofreading your dissertation is worth considering. If, having checked and compared all the pros and cons, you decided on engagement of a specialist for this task, read about the pitfalls that might await you when you choose the professional proofreader.
Hope that upon the above analysis your major doubts were proved groundless and the minors were washed away. To strengthen your decision we can offer to browse our articles dedicated to editing and proofreading:
- Rewrite An Essay And Make The Best Of It!
- Editing Services For Student – Upgrade Your Science!
- Proofreading Companies: Pros And Cons
- Revision Essay – Is It Worth This?
- A Tricky Task – How To Proofread My Document Properly?
- All About Dissertation Proofreading Service UK
How to choose the right proofreading service for your dissertation
Now that you have formed your position as to the proofreading of your dissertation, it is reasonable to discuss how to perform the task properly. If your answer to the outsourcing services is “Yes”, go on reading this article further, the useful tips are awaiting for you in next paragraph. If you answered “No”, change your reading into the direction of the relevant post in our editing blog http://essay-editor.net/blog/dont-you-need-a-dissertation-editor.
Assume your position is positive and you type in your browser “Proofread dissertation”. How many millions of links did you get? Starting to browse the websites, you find out that many are similar and represent themselves in almost the same way. So how to choose among this “variety”? There is a set of factors that must be checked when you apply for the editing services for your dissertation:
- The proper documentation in place. Be it a license (in some countries editing services are the licensed ones), diplomas proving an educational level and specialization of the proofreader, certificates illustrating his or her experience, the documents must be verifiable and properly executed. Don’t feel awkward asking for them – a real professional is always glad to demonstrate his achievements at request.
- The portfolio of the specialist. Ask the proofreader of his or her recent orders, check the feedback on them on the website. Ask to show some of the samples of the works performed. Ascertain they are of a high level. Pay attention to the range of tasks as well. The expert is usually proficient in several adjoining activities (e.g. rewriting, essay writing, documents’ proofreading, translation etc.). However if the linguist’s qualification as proofreader is supported by several proofs (diplomas, certificates, feedbacks, years of practice), the narrow specialization in this area may benefit your dissertation.
- The experience of the proofreader either in the dissertation’ proofreading or in the subject your dissertation is written about. Preferably both these factors to match the situation, though, certainly, such things can happen rarely. If a proofreader is keen on proofreading dissertations and is fully aware of all the technical requirements, a brief description of your idea and the way it is presented will be enough to enable the efficient proofreading of your text. Otherwise, being an adept in the field, the proofreader would need to get acquainted with the requirements to the scientific papers, the dissertations in particular. That’s how the proofreading may be performed in the other way, sparing you the time of introducing the proofreader into the topic.
- Recommendations. Be sure to check the recommendations any experienced specialist must have. It may be performed by asking the administrator of the service, browsing feedback on the website, looking for comments on Web forums and on proofreader’s page in the social networks. Use all the channels available. Leave aside the general comments like “Perfect work!” and pay attention to the detailed ones like “Good proofreading, with no spots left unattended, but general approach could be less formal. I needed less formal style of the text”.
- Personal approach. If the circumstances allow, communicate with the proofreader directly. In this way you’ll be able to make your impression from the beginning and to make a right decision. Pay attention to the way your remarks and requests are received, the quickness and contents of the reply, the emotional disposition (friendly/unfriendly).
- Choose a company, not a freelance. We strongly encourage you to entrust your dissertation only to the certified companies who can guarantee the result and confidentiality, as well as not disclosing the contents of your dissertation. Certainly you are free to choose the editor as to your personal estimations and it may happen that your colleague or friend is quite capable of this task. However as your dissertation goal is set quite high and is supposed to bring you a scientific degree there can be no sparing at this task. It is most important that the best available dissertation services are chosen, once you decided to perform proofreading of your dissertation.
- Check the company presentation. Examine the way the proofreading company tells about itself. Compare their advantages and disadvantages with your priorities. Do the formers correspond with the latters? It is also important to check whether the company is developing its performance. Browse the feedback, learn more on the dedicated forums. Pay attention to the date of site and blog updates, the contents of the blog. A live and developing blog with constantly updated information can tell a lot about the level of performance of the company.
So, you’ve learned what the dissertation proofreading is needed for, checked the ability to do it yourself and decided to engage a specialist for that task. Hope that our recommendations came in handy and your decision was based on the all-encompassing checking of the relevant factors about the proofreading company and its performance. All that’s left is to wait to receive your flawless dissertation in a couple of days!
If you plan to spend your time for education while your dissertation is being proofread, we offer our recent articles on the peculiarities of the English grammar as well as some popular articles on learning English:
- How To Use The Adverbs In Your Speech
- Online Proofread – Make A Wise Choice
- Where to Use Participles In Your Speech
- Excellent Text But Weak Wording – Reword My Paper!
- How To Master Complex Tenses In English
Do you plan or maybe already have your dissertation prepared? Would you like to proofread it? Check our special offers on the website!