You are good at studying but your essays are often estimated for “B’s”? The teacher remarks prove that the idea is great but the execution could be better? Get on with the Essay-Editor, the best option for online essay editing! You can pick the most suitable editing service and check its price at once. Besides, for the urgent or short inquiries, we have a built-in online chat, by means of which you can clarify any issue without the preliminary registration. In order to draw a picture of the range and level of our services, you are welcome to browse our blog available online. It outlines the services we provide, discusses the interesting actual topics of the English language, provides samples of the correct writing, and a lot of other useful information! We are always delighted to welcome you on our website and are ready to answer your questions, as well as to grant you a luring discount!
In our previous post, we discussed the features and qualities of the professional editor. We also issued a set of articles dedicated to the price formation for proofreading http://essay-editor.net/blog/proofreading-cost-get-your-best-quotation and to editing cost in general. Since we receive a lot of queries from you in regard of proofreading, our present article will be dedicated to this topic. We’ll discuss the proofreading in general and its performance, and make our point as to the benefits and drawbacks of self-performed proofreading, as well as of engaging a professional for that task.
Professional proofreader: tasks and solutions
Believe the words “deductive method” will instantly remind many of the readers of the famous Sherlock Holmes. However, here we shall go a bit further to the past and use the term “deduction” as it was described by Descartes. By this, we imply we shall analyze the subject drawing upon the existing theory of editing, explore the essence of its components and then assemble the gained knowledge together to see if it fits the theory. Sounds rather scary, but, really, you do this kind of thing every day without even knowing it. You judge about events and people drawing upon your own experience; you speculate about the event and its components to see if they fit each other smartly. You meet your friend in the street holding a large case and you think there might be some gold bars in it. But then, you notice the leaf of paper sticking out of it, and you presume there must be some documentation there. Your brain performs the deductive reasoning without you even realizing it. Sign up for our MBA essay editing service for students, and all the peculiarities of the deductive and inductive reasoning will be a piece of cake for you!
Let us return, though, to our subject. We are going to talk about proofreader’s occupation and its characteristics. Following the described research technology, we’ve got to discover the essential components of the notion and investigate their meaning and function. Let us start, then.
The main component is the occupation of proofreading. Proofreading is a subdivision of editing dedicated to the analysis of the written text, on purpose of searching for the grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes and their further correction. Get more information about essential features of the proofreading http://essay-editor.net/blog/the-meaning-of-proof-reading, as well as about the methods of its execution. Proofreading is implemented as a method of the first introduction into the text: when the editor first reads the text through, he or she spots the majority of the mistakes at once and can determine the time needed for correction and the cost of the work. Proofreading also constitutes the conclusive part of the editing, as any modifications introduced into the text must be checked on the subject of their fitting in with the general style and the flow of the narrative. The professionally proofread texts can be discovered in the special division of our electronic journal. Get the samples of the perfect writing free of charge and study the most exquisite editing techniques in their implementation!
Thus, proofreading is the procedure of the text analysis that precedes and concludes any editing modifications. It is understood now, why the teachers and scientific advisers always accentuate the need for proofreading, actual for any college paper. Any efficient academic editor and proofreader will also highlight the meaning and high importance of this part of the editing. Below you will find a brief outline of the components of proofreading and the way of their implementation into the text.
Proofreading consists of:
1. Punctuation placement. At first, we were going to write “punctuation correction” yet, taking into account the present state of the punctuation in the English writing, the term “placement” will definitely describe the situation more fully. If you have an account on the social platforms, if you use the messenger applications, such as Viber and Telegram, you have most likely noticed the commas’ usage is limited to the smiley’s picturing nowadays. One of the reasons of such state of affairs is the lack of need for punctuation. Punctuation marks are needed when there are several versions of understanding available. For example, the phrase I wrote home; my sister stayed with me can have a different meaning with the inverted commas included: I wrote home, “My sister stayed with me”. In the first version, the person has been writing, while the sister was staying with him or her, not necessarily mentioning her stay in the letter. However, in the second version, there can be no doubt regarding the content of the letter. If you are not aware of the tenses’ usage, check the sequence of the tenses and its application in the English language. By the way, in this example, another punctuation mark is used – the capital letter. Well, the attentive reader would ask whether the punctuation is so important, if it is used the less frequently every day. We believe the reason of the punctuation going reduced is the shortage of the phrases due to the format of the modern e-communication. It is quite rare that people write long messages, with the complex sentences and using the direct speech. Minimization of the text space aims at saving the time of the person who writes and of the one who reads. Instead of explaining I’ve got to finish my lab practical, as soon as I do, we can go out together and have dinner it is quite sufficient to write Sorry [smiley] My lab is still on. Finishing and meeting you [smiley]. The punctuation marks here are the period and capital letters, but they also can be dropped in a live chat. However, for the formal papers like essays, assignments, course works etc. such liberty is much frowned upon. The lack of punctuation will not definitely improve your grade. Instead, it can cause the misunderstanding and lead to the grade’s reduction. Look at the following sentence and try to grasp its sense: Our hypothesis was based on a theory of the Descriptive Grammar by N. Chomsky the theory of signs by Ch. Pierce the Conservative Grammar principles were not taken into account. Can you tell now, whether the Ch. Pierce theory was considered or not? That’s it; you can’t, without proper punctuation. Such mistakes irritate the reader immensely and thus, must be corrected. In order to avoid this kind of mistakes as well as plenty of the other ones, order the first-class rewriting services for your important papers. Go with the professionals!
2. Spelling check. This editing procedure is usually associated with the proofreading. If you work in the editing business, you know that the requests like “Check my spelling, please” prevail upon “Proofread my academic paper, thank you”. The reason is that the spelling mistakes are the most frequent in the texts of all types (technical, formal, literature and so on). It is quite frequent that these mistakes are made involuntarily: the writer knows well the word and the way to use it, however the pen slips (or, rather, the finger presses the wrong key), and the sentence goes like follows: It was there fault end nobody elses. Another case is the usage of the different versions of the English language. For instance, if you happened to learn the Australian English-speaking techniques, you would most likely use the way of writing different from that of the traditional British and American versions of English. Sometimes the auto correct also makes its amendments, then the word fault may well be substituted by vault making the meaning of the phrase next to inconceivable. Certainly, the largest quantity of the spelling mistakes can be traced in the texts written by non-native English speakers. Yet, even the native British people are wont to make mistakes in writing. The most common mistakes include the usage of one letter in place of the double one (in the words like aggression, accommodation, bizarre); mixing up the positions of adjoining i and e (achieve, retrieve, conceive); mixing up the endings er, ar and or (adviser, calendar, lavender); misplacement of a instead of e in the substantivated verbs (like appearance, existence, preference); dropping h in the words, both English and foreign ones (Fahrenheit, which, historian). A lot of mistakes are usually made in the long complex words having Greek or Roman origin like aerophobia, cryptography, archaeology. Another cluster of misspelled words is made by the ones which sounding differs considerably from the writing: Caesar, feather, plough. (If you are going to lodge an order for the dissertation proofreading within the US, you might also consider the difference between American and British English, as some of the words are pronounced differently in them.) The English language also contains many words that are called homophones. They are pronounced in the different way, while their spelling is the same: wind (the motion of the air) and wind (to set the clock mechanism); sow (to plant the seeds) and sow (the pig female), tear (to disassemble something) and tear (water coming from the eyes). These words provide less material for spelling mistakes in writing, yet mixing them up may lead to the usage of the incorrect form of the original word: I wish I could tears the truth out of them. The best solution for the correct spelling is the attentiveness at your writing, as well as the thorough proofreading upon the completion of the text. Enjoy the low-cost revision of papers by English native speakers, offered on our website with the considerable discount today!
Sometimes the improper placement of the punctuation marks may lead to the distortion of the meaning. If the basic idea or the logical structure feature severe deficiencies, the special techniques must be used for the text correction. Look what might be the best solution for fixing your paper’s deficiencies http://essay-editor.net/blog/the-best-way-to-reword-an-essay and learn the ways to apply it.
3. Grammar adjustment. The correction of grammar foresees dealing with the more complex mistakes that may combine the factors of spelling and punctuation as well. Check out the comprehensive definition of grammar and its components, as well as its function in the language. The grammar mistakes look the same as the spelling ones, yet their origin and therefore, the method of their correction is different. In order to fix the grammar properly, the editor must be aware of the existing system of the forms of the words and their combinations; the principles of the meaning’ expression by means of the words. The group of words having the largest potential for being misused is Verbs. This group of words is known for its flexibility and diversion of functions. Be it the compatibility with the Pronouns or the intricate form of future perfect tense, this group always has a lot to suggest for learning. The most frequent mistakes with the Verbs is their usage with regard to the Subject of the sentence (dropping or ending the –s ending or using the incorrect Verb form, like I has my essay all ready for submitting, She leaved for Europe tomorrow), with regard to the Tense (using the improper Verb form for the description of the particular tense; most frequently, the past perfect form is used in place of past perfect progressive, like in the sentence We have been writing our assignments while she has called on us). Another common mistake is mixing up the Pronoun-and-Verb abbreviation with the possessive pronoun: they’re with their, he’s with his, it’s with its. In some cases, the improper usage of these forms may lead to formation of incomprehensive passages within the text. Like in the next phrase, The book is dedicated to the religious traditions of the Western world. It’s fast considered as an integral part of the culture. Here the possessive pronoun its must replace the abbreviated form it’s for the correct understanding. Do not grudge time to enhance your knowledge of these categories. If you need advice from the professional, for example, on the steps for learning present simple tense, do not waste time and contact us at once. Another weak spot is the usage of incomplete comparative constructions. Sometimes it can be justified by the context (We know you can do it better), but in the majority of the cases, such constructions must be avoided. The solution is to avoid comparison at all, either indicating its object (We know you can do it better than your mom) or introducing the additional clarifying condition (We know you can do it better if you train your skills). The mixing up of the forms performing the similar function yet having different properties is another problematic issue, even in the texts written by the native English speakers. When I was five, my dad brought me a doll who could sing and dance. Should the linking preposition be who or that? It depends on the properties of the Object – whether it is animated or not. Another good example of such predicament is the use of me and I (he and him, they and them etc.) as an object of an action: It was unfair to me. You and I, we both had been working out this project. Certainly, the list of the grammar mistakes can go on and on. Here we outlined just the most frequent and popular ones.
By the common understanding, proofreading is limited by the operations listed above. However, any professional editor will tell you that there can be no efficient proofreading without checking of the other, more complex levels of the text. The detailed account of the editing procedures and the hints on using the different techniques can be found in the services-oriented department of our blog. Look at the editing from the non-standard point of view! Returning to our topic, if the editors would go with the other aspects, just outlined above, they would be marked by a star (*) indicating their auxiliary function. Let us include them also in the list:
4. The consistency preservation. Though such tasks as the correction of the text structure, logical flow and consistency are not included into proofreading procedures, yet proofreading cannot be performed professionally without taking them into account. Actually, any editing procedure aims at the preservation or development of the text consistency. Thus, it can be applied as the checking point of the proofreading’ efficiency. Looking for the high-quality yet cheap proof reading service? We are waiting for your order now! The knowledge of the superior levels of the text such as its style and logical structure, allows adjusting the spelling and other text features in the optimal way. For example, the text written in the formal style for the publication in the scientific journal featuring the passage like We would not like to meddle this does contain a mistake. However, it is not a grammatical one (the missing preposition with after the Verb meddle), but a spelling one (meddle should be corrected to settle). Solving this situation efficiently is possible only on condition of correctly evaluating the general textual factors like its topic, structure and consistency.
5. Orientation on the idea. There is another essential textual component that can be overlooked during the proofreading, yet must be considered as well. It is the expression of the primary idea of the text. At first glance, it seems that the principal idea of the text has nothing to do with correcting the typos and placing commas. However, as the idea serves as the central point arranging the whole body of the text, it becomes understandable that all the inferior text elements must coordinate with it. Imagine yourself an editor entrusted with the task of providing the urgent proofreading services for students, e.g. checking an essay on the chemical compounds. If you encountered the following phrase, what correction would you make? The general formula of ethyr goes as follows: R – O – R’. Without knowing the author’s idea, you will swing between the words ethyl and ether, not ever being sure you have chosen the right one. However, if you know the author’s point was to describe the properties of the separate class of compounds known as ethers, you will easily correct this mistake. If you are writing some popular non-academic text, for example, a post for your blog on how to study English for free by yourself, this advice is also applicable. It does not depend on the type of the text.
As we see, the efficient proofreading implies the text analysis on its different levels, though the actual correction concerns only three of them: punctuation, spelling and grammar adjustment.
Having explored the tasks that make the challenge for the proofreader, let us now discuss the way of their fulfilment, and determine the attributes of the proofreader who is considered a professional in his business.
Professional vs. Amateur: what does it mean in editing?
Any task requires the professional attitude in order to be performed in the best possible way. The same concerns editing. Diligence, responsible attitude, accurateness, preciseness, ample knowledge of the subject do not make the full list of qualities required for the editor’s occupation, but definitely constitute the latter’s basis. Consult our blog dedicated to the editing matters, in order to find out more about the editors and their everyday routine. Get ready to absorb a lot of wholesome information spiced by some informal deviations like the description of the editor’s types of character. There is always a room for a smile with Essay-Editor!
But, to think of it, what is the professional attitude at its core? All the qualities listed above are applicable to the characteristic of the amateur as well. The beginner in editing may be the most accurate, the overly precise and responsible, yet he or she would be scarcely considered a professional. So, the edge line between the amateur and the professional lies in the experience? Again, the answer is negative. The editor may be working throughout the years, yet not possess the mentioned qualities and not being considered a professional. That is why if you are going to approach any editor you encounter first with an appeal, “Write and edit my essay fastly!” it is reasonable to weight the chances. The fast performance may not always grant the high quality of the editing.
Let us summarize the qualities pertaining to the professional attitude and being associated with it. We shall also compare them with the correspondent qualities of the amateurship. Thus, we shall be able to draw a borderline between these two notions. We shall test each of the opposite features by the following parameters:
1. Determination and perspicacity. The professional strives to get an insight into all the particulars of the work he or she is entrusted with. This includes the auxiliary aspects as well. For example, when the professional editor receives an order for proofreading, he or she does not immediately start spotting each word that is used incorrectly. Rather, such editor would read the text in full; clarify the ambiguous or incomprehensible passages. If needed, he would look for additional information on the subject. Besides, the professional editor will also take into account the type and destination of the text, as well as its style. Proofreading an essay for students must be different from checking the materials for the company advertising. It is also understood, that the essay by the first-year student allows for less formal style than the dissertation for the doctorate degree. The style should be kept in correspondence with the original text. For example, if the editor encounters several times Dr and Prof without periods, and then spot some Mr. and Ms. with periods, he should not be content just correcting all to the unified style of his choice, as the amateur would do. The lexis and syntax must be analyzed as well. If there are such words present as lawyer, check, gas, it is most likely that the text is performed in the American version of the English language. So much for the grammar constructions like We can see the solution coming, The truth is to be got through the experiment; It looks as if the results do not match. The British version would feature barrister, bill, petrol and syntax would go as follows: We see the solution coming, The truth is to be gotten through the experiment, It looks like the results do not match. If you do not recollect the rules, check the part of our blog dedicated to English grammar. Replenish your knowledge of the existing English rules and watch for the new ones appearing and forming themselves. Stay updated!
2. The professional analyzes his or her own mistakes and the quality of work and constantly corrects the deficiencies, improving the overall level of the service. This can be reached by the regular perusal of the news in the field, of the scientific reports and researches, by sharing and gaining the experience at specialized conferences and so on. For example, the experienced proofreader may find out that the Oxford comma (in such sentences as We were swimming, laying in the sun, and talking) tends to disappear from the regular usage. It concerns especially the American version of English. The editor might spot such archaic words as henceforth (introduced by himself or originally presented in the paper) spoiling the overall impression of the text dedicated to the IT topic, written in the informal and light manner. The distinction from the amateur lies in the never-ending search for such deficiencies, as well as the ways of their elimination. The professional will never assert he or she knows everything about his occupation. Instead, he or she would follow the Socrates in his famous aphorism.
3. Regular research on the client’s needs and demands. The professional in any sphere of activity never drops his active approach to customers. The editor who wants to stay afloat, constantly receiving new customers and keeping the loyal ones, has to keep being updated on the demands of his target group. Constant insight into the people’s needs requires at least the basic knowledge of psychology and sociology. Thus, the editor must be knowledgeable in these spheres of science. (Check the wide outlook of our editors by lodging a request for the professional article rewriting service with us! It will be your article that wins the first prize!) However, the amateur can also realize the importance of following the customer’s needs. The difference with the professional editor lays in the method of keeping being updated. The amateur usually analyzes the needs of the existing customers and builds his suggestions on the results of this analysis. The professional never gets satisfied just serving the demand of the loyal clients. He understands that his potential target group is much wider than his current auditory, and that the conclusions he made presently must be supported or corrected by some statistic data. (Look out for the first-class professionals engaged in the dissertation proofreading services for the UK.) For example, if the proofreader usually edits the texts written by the non-English speaking students, he or she should not stop on just fixing the openly incorrect forms like I go to the cullege last yiar, but understand that the same syntax pattern found in the text by the native English speaker (I go to the college last year) would most likely signalize the missing auxiliary verb (I’d go), rather than the incorrect placement of the tenses.
The proofreader must be always aware of the target group of his services and consider the interests of its members. For example, if you are going to become the services’ provider for students, you need to know what their actual demands are. Whether it is the way to drop some lectures out of their schedule and go to the basketball match unnoticed, or to learn how to write an excellent essay, you must know it, too! Then their loyalty will be always on your part.
4. Approach to clients. It may seem that targeting the wide auditory might lead to the generalized approach to all customers, realized in the same format. However, that is not the way with the professionals. The top-notch paper proofreader can check the text while always keeping in mind the psychological and social portrait of his client. The professional understands that the generalized approach to the clients is inacceptable, as usually his auditory is diverse. Each customer is an individual requiring a different kind of service, as well as the different approach. Such proofreader understands that he would have to spend more time for clarification of some issues to the non-native English speaker, as well as put his explanations into the simplest and the most comprehensive form. Consider these peculiarities while typing in the editor’s contact form “Reword my paper fast and cheap today!” At the same time, the native English speaker can be harder to deal with since such customer usually assumes he or she knows English no worse than the editor himself does. For example, such word-combinations as he wasn’t allowed to do it and if I was to go abroad usually raise questions on the part of such clients, when they are corrected into he was not allowed doing it and if I were to go abroad. The reason is that the written language is always pacing behind the spoken one with regard to the changes’ introduction. Thus, it retains more of the formal constructions and allows for less free interpretation, especially within the format of the scientific studies.
Another important feature of the editor is the way of conducting the communication with the customers. The polite and empathic editor is always a pleasure to deal with. If you need to improve your communication, learn what polite words to use in your speech and the way to implement them. Become a real English conversationalist!
5. Global view. The professional never fixes his or her mind solely on the problems and issues arising in his particular area of activity. The global approach in science implies that every field and sphere is connected with all the other spheres. These spheres interlace, enrich and influence each other constantly. This approach foresees the interest to all the spheres of life. Certainly, the basic accent and the prevailing interest are kept for the main field of activity. The global approach allows to analyze the facts and events deeply and to spot the connections and associations, invisible via the regular superficial outlook. For instance, when an amateur editor gets to know about the closure of the Chinese cryptocurrency stock exchange, he or she would probably use this information for withdrawing his funds out of that exchange, for changing some of his investment plans, simply for talking this news over with friends. However, the professional editor might predict the news will be soon getting back to him in the form of essays, news clips and even theses on the IT topics that need editing. (By the way, here is the most luring offer for the first-class assignment proofreading service for cheap.) Thus, he or she would plunge into the subject a little deeper to find out the reasons of the event, the lexis used for its description, the particular IT slang pertaining to the field. In this way, he would enrich his own knowledge and would be prepared for the new exciting orders.
6. Systematic work and planning. The integral feature of the professional editor, as well as of the professional in any activity, is the systematic approach. The editor cannot just be a proofreader and be competent in the grammar and punctuation rules, but ignore the syntax and discourse levels of the language. Dropping some aspect of the system of the language would mean an imperfect performance of any of the editing tasks, even of the simplest ones. The perfect description of the professional editing is provided via the link http://essay-editor.net/blog/revise-paper-online--fast-and-cool, together with some useful hints as to performance of the editing procedures. For example, in order to spot the mistake (or, rather, a mistype) in the following sentence The planets included into the Sun system have the different mass, and different gaseous envelope. Only knowing the syntax well, we can presume the comma after the mass is unnecessary here (due to the presence of homogeneous objects) and better be dropped, for the sake of better understanding. The amateur usually pays more attention only to some part of the activity, e.g. to spelling, letting other aspects stay undeveloped. Another side of the systematic approach reveals itself in the way of the working process’ organization. The professional ranges his tasks depending on their importance and assigned deadlines, upon which he draws up his working schedule. The amateur usually has other criteria for systemizing the tasks. They are ranged depending on their attractiveness for the editor himself. Such approach might lead to the clients’ dissatisfaction, as it may cause the delay of the other tasks’ execution, less attractive yet more pressing. Figure out what disadvantages of the essay revision service might ambush you on your way to the perfectly edited text, and manage to avoid them completely!
Summing up, the difference borderline between the professional and amateur editor lays in the global and systematic approach, not being secluded by the limits of the linguistic science. It should include many other spheres of the human activities and science, especially psychological and sociological studies. This approach must be applied not only in theoretical and practical studies, but also in the organization of the working process and while dealing with the clients. If you need professional advice on any topic, let us say, business letter writing tips for conducting the correspondence of your company properly, get on with the Essay-Editor!
Got interested in proofreading? Read more about its aspects (for example, term paper proofreading services by experts, available among our services), and learn the secrets of the professional editing! For that, just sign up to our blog and trace the updates on the modern state of the editing activities! You can always take a relaxing slip into less specific topics and browse the assortment of the articles dedicated to the popular topics:
The result of the proofreading: evaluation technique
There are many ways to determine whether the person you are dealing with is a real professional in his or her occupation. The top-class proof readers who work online usually have the same set of positive qualities that can be traced in their performance. An approach to the customer, attentiveness to details, a choice of words, preciseness of descriptions, the sound reputation, qualification, experience – all these factors are usually taken into account. Meanwhile, it can also happen that the listed qualities turn out to be imaginary or exaggerated ones. The only way to verify the editor’s professionalism is to estimate the result of his or her work – the text proofread, rewritten, or revised. Only having received the paper back with the impeccable grammar and consistent narrative, performed in the unified style, with all the commas and colons in place, we can say, yes, this person is a real professional. No less important is the submission of the edited text in time, within the agreed deadline. Check the ways to submit your paper properly, the principles of the effective communication and many more topics described in detail and with illustrations in the popular blog on editing. Get on with us and stay updated on the most interesting subjects!
Here another issue arises. If the person applies to the editor’s help, in many cases (though not in all of them) this person does not have the linguistic skills exceeding the medium level. He or she does not know how to actually rewrite or proofread an essay or dissertation. How is he or she to evaluate the text features, such as correctness of grammar, relevance of punctuation, appropriateness of the style? We have developed a piece of advice that can help in such a situation. The proposed procedures are quite simple yet being performed diligently, they will help anyone to perform at least the preliminary estimation of the editor’s performance.
In order to evaluate the quality of the proofreading, do the following:
Now you know what steps should be taken to evaluate the qualification and professionalism of the proofreader. Have your essay proofread or revised following the most modern technologies with our company! Certainly, having a good knowledge of the English grammar and the developed writing skills would also help a lot in this task. If you wish to improve your level of the written English, visit our blog. We have gathered many interesting articles there on the ways to master the English language. You will find a lot of material containing the deep analysis of the different grammar issues, as well as the information on the ways to use English efficiently in the modern world. If you need some advice on the types of the editing activities as well as on different aspects of the editing procedures, this is also a good place to look at. For any questions arisen, contact our administrator via the live chat, or fill in the specially designed contact form to file a more substantial request. Enjoy the open and welcoming attitude of all the members of our staff, and receive one of our frequently offered discounts! We provide the tailor-cut service for all types of editing at any time of the day! Contact us and make sure for yourself!
On our website, we offer a variety of professionally written articles on different topics. Find the subject you are interested in and let’s start the discussion! Some of the most recent posts are listed below:
Keep in mind that professional proofreaders can check any written text. CV and resume papers require professional proofreading as well.
What side do you support? Do you use the professional companies’ service or go with the freelancers and self-taught editors? We value your opinion and invite you to the discussion!